Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Doubters of a Resurrection? A Commission? Or both?

Matthew 28:16-20

16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 The Jesus came to them and said,"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

I read this on Saturday night, the night before our Lord's Ressurection Sunday. The passage of course occurs after our Lord arose, but I suppose, being the good Southern Baptist that I am, I decided to get a head start on things. I was struck that some doubted. How could you doubt a man who forgave the very people who tortured him only to raise himself above death? But then I thought, What would I do if I saw a man who died two days before? What if he had been one of my closest friends? What if I had abandoned him after he had fed me, blessed me, and served me as a suffering servant. He had washed my stinky feet last Thursday. Some of me would be afraid, but I would be overjoyed. I would want to talk to him. I would want to tell him how freaking awesome he is. I would ask him how he did it (moved the stone and all). I would ask him that just for fun to see if God would give me a dirty look. I would probably ask if he knocked out the Roman guards. Actually I probably wouldn't do all of these things. I would be one of the doubters. Not of him. Not that he could do it. I would doubt my standing with him. I think that those who worshiped had a feeling that he was going to save them: that he would forgive their abandonment and lack of faith. But as for me, I might have thoughts of an angry God who could easily wipe me out for doubting him. I would doubt my standing. All of this only to find that God just wanted to tell me what would make me happy. He would tell us (actually still tells) that we are blessed now. We are blessed to be a blessing. To continue on this path of faith wherever it may lead: down the street, in the city, our nation state, and to nations of peoples (not countries...but peoples). But as he said this I would wonder if I was ready, if I could do this enormous task. But then his words turn, from a challenge to an assurance for the doubters. An assurance that he will not abandon me in my commission as I abandoned him. Then peace comes. And because he believes in me, my doubt is suppressed. Because he will be living with me, my strength comes. And I would come down from the mountain ready to spread a cause in the valley. Then will I be blessed in his commission.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jolie,

These are amazing insights- I am really loving this blog!

I agree with you that it would have been very difficult for me to absorb all I was seeing and experiencing if I had been a contemporary of Jesus and even a follower. Keep in mind that the first century Jew, who had been taught for thousands of years to not worship anything created or even an image of anything created, was probably the least likely of all people in the ancient world to believe in a resurrected messiah as God. But they believed in large groups overnight and all at once. There were many miracles AFTER the resurrection that many people don't think about. Mainly, that first century Jews and Greeks instantly converted.

Good stuff Jolie!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just visited your site via a comment on chris wall's site. i go to crbc too. anyway, have a great week and have fun blogging.

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Pictures of stenciled kitchen cupboards proline water filter black boot high Bemis humidifier filter 1041 the match game with gene rayburn forex day trading keyword online trading online stock11 affect evista side Web traffic marketing promotion besttrafficway com

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home