Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The most girly things that will ever come out of my computer

So, I finished two books last week. The first was Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, the second The John Wesley Reader. It was enjoyable, and I suppose I will reflect on the former now.

I loved reading Pride and Prejudice. It is beautifully written, and makes me want to talk in a British accent all of the time. Beyond that, I think that it is a beautiful story. A man, Mr. Darcy, too blinded by his pride to think anything of lower society, and a woman, Miss Elizabeth Bennet, too blinded by prejudice to give higher society a chance. She is independent, lively, and fun; he is docile, impolite, but loyal. It is interesting to me that this woman makes him fall apart. He falls for her, works for her, becomes aggresive for her. And when this happens, her prejudices are proven wrong. It is a classic. That's really all I can say about it. I'll leave you with some of my favorite passages.

"Pride," said Mary , who piqued herself upon the solidity of her reflections, "is a very common failing I believe. By all that I have ever read, I am convinced that it is very common indeed; that human nature is particularly prone to it, and that there are very few of us who do not cherish a feeling of self-complacency on the score of some quality or the other, real or imaginary. vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A peron may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."

Elizabeth speaking:
"There are few people whom I really love, and fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, th emore am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense"

Elisabeth when she realizes that she loves Mr. Darcy:
For herself, she was humbled; but she was proud of him. Proud that in a cause of compassion and honour he had been able to get the better of himself.

Here's to the most girly post I will ever write. Next time I'll write about Wesley. Don't worry.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Wall said...

Go to Rick's blog and help me out on my post on the Hymn section. I mentioned you.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Jayme said...

I know plenty of manly types who love this book. It has long been one of my favorites too. P&P does prove impossible to read without pronouncing the British way. Thanks for sharing a few passages. Rather, "Cheers!"

12:53 AM  
Blogger Nirja said...

Thanks for revealing yet another reason that we're the same person. I'm obsessed with Pride and Prejudice in the same way I'm obsessed with Gloria Est-E-fan. I love you for loving it. Also, when is the Jolie-Nirja Reunion of 2006 happening?

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! lamictal prozac hot flash Top load ppc 1500 frigidare dryer belt manual Ballymaloe cooking school Mobil cpu tower stand dsl internet multimedia Low price maternity clothes pennsylvania low price dialup internet company The cone adult sex toy Internet access free cheap interenet providers Quit smoking 26 osteoporosis Samsung convection ovens automobile insurance http://www.craps-basic-strategy.info/Aston-martin-dv4-zagato.html Zoloft and nosebleeds Colorado oregon health insurance Louisiana dial up internet service provider http://www.chrysler-town-and-country-suspension-repairs.info/buypaxilonline.html

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home